Monday, February 16, 2009

The Prowler

I've got one in my office. It's terrible. I can't even think straight anymore. I'm exhausted.

I'm in a cubicle with my back facing a wall of offices. The Prowler's office is just a few feet away. He has to pass my cubicle to get to the copier, the break area, the bathroom... there is another route but he rarely takes it. This drives me insane. Some days are particularly bad. Like today. He will seriously read a page of godknowswhat, make a copy, return to his desk and repeat that cycle for HOURS. I wish I was exaggerating. What is he doing?! What could he possibly be doing in the minute and twenty-seven seconds that he sits down before he needs to get up again?

The worst days are when he wears his loafers... I can always hear him shuffling behind me but those days are particularly distracting. I don't understand it. What is so hard about reading an entire article, making notes or flagging them with post-its and then making one trip to the copier? (Oh, and another to the shredder, just for good measure.)

I've tried complaing to HR... actually, I am HR... my boss just tells me to relax. I can't. His prowling seriously stresses me out. I can tell you that I'm -----oh! There he goes again!----- I'm eerily calm as I type this. I'm taking very deep breaths and counting up to 10 and down again. If he walks by one more time I just don't know what I'm going to do... ok.... now if he walks by one more time.... you know what? Just forget it.

7 comments:

Katie said...

Haha, this made me laugh, but I really do feel bad for you. You should say something, but what? I don't know...

Lisa said...

This is so funny, but yet so aggravating at the same time. I can't even begin to imagine how to approach someone to discuss their "unnecessary traffic-ing".

sarah said...

I have to admit, I get up quite a lot to walk around during the day. Many times, it's just to stretch my legs and get away from the computer...maybe he's just ADD???

Sorry he annoys you. If you'd rather, I'll come annoy you instead. Hehe.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, annoying co-workers. One thing I am definitely NOT looking forward about moving to the corporate setting!

I really have no advice to give you, I mean, how do you even address something like that??

Sorry lady!

Angie said...

This post made me laugh. It totally brought back memories of my first 'real job' after graduating from college. I worked at Magnetek and it was a cubicle situation. There were 4 of us in a cube and it sounds like the same deal, people walked through our cube to get to the bathroom, copier, etc. People would stop and talk and I couldn't make them leave. You could hear everyone's phone convos. I am so glad I don't work in that environment anymore. Good luck with the prowler...maybe sneak some vodka in with your cola? lol

Maria said...

OMG, people like that annoy me to no end. I feel your pain Pamela!!

jessicaehutson said...

Hahaha :)