Monday, January 26, 2009

Tarnish? It's nothing a little toothpaste can't fix.

My husband's mother brought over some more of his childhood things a few days after Christmas. Two small boxes contained ornaments from his godfather. They were beautiful sterling sliver bells- one for the year he was born and one for his first year, I guess. Anyway, they were incredibly tarnished. I recalled a memory of my mom cleaning my grandmother's silverware after a huge family dinner once. She scrubbed it with toothpaste and washed them by hand with dish soap so I thought I'd give that a try and it totally worked! I'm sure real silver polish would probably look better but who am I kidding? That bottle of polish would last years and years and I'd still probably never use it again.

Take a look at the before and afters:
I obviously cleaned the 1981 Bell first but they were both as tarnished and the 1982 Bell.

Here are a couple more detailed shots:



Of course I was so excited, I immediately cleaned the 1982, forgot to take another picture and now I'm too lazy to do it but the change was impressive and now they both shine like the 1981.

5 comments:

Katie said...

That is so awesome! I had no idea about the toothpaste tip. Gonna have to keep that one stored away in my mind. Thanks!!

Angie said...

That's amazing! I love old stuff.

Trisha said...

Impressive!
I didn't know that. I was always wondering how to get rid of that stuff without having to buy that stuff that they advertise at those Working Women Survival Shows (or wherever). :) Thanks for the tip! :)

Maria said...

That is amazing! I have a necklace that I need to clean, and I'm gonna try toothpaste. Thank you girl!

LC said...

Awesome job, Pamela! I have cleaned my ring with toothpaste too and it works like a charm :)