Friday, January 30, 2009

A few tips for job seekers


I see a LOT of resumes. I mean an insane amount for all different kinds of positions. I always get asked, "Pamela, I'm sending my resume out. Any good tips?"

Here's what I say:

FOR THOSE MAILING IN RESUMES OR BRINGING THEM TO INTERVIEWS:
If you are going to use a resume paper with a watermark on it, please for the love of all that is holy, PLEASE make sure your watermark doesn't come out upside-down and backwards. Pay attention. This is one of my all time pet peeves. If you have to print it 2 or 3 times, do it. It's the little signs that show attention to detail. Seriously. It is so distracting to see a backwards watermark and you really have no idea how often this happens to me. I'm proud of the few that get it right. If this is something you don't really care to "waste your time on" make sure you get resume paper without a watermark.

It actually serves a purpose too. It's to let you know how the grain is supposed to go through the printer. (Paper has grain- you can sometimes feel it.) In ink printers, going against the grain will sometimes cause ink to bleed. This is also visually distracting. This is all especially important to consider when applying for a creative/graphic design type of position. Our creative director has even told me that he doesn't want to see those resumes. HELLO! Would you send something to your client if it was bleeding, smeared, wrong colors or upside down? Of course not! (If they are qualified, I will send those candidates to other departments where it doesn't matter as much to their position, obviously.)

THIS APPLIES TO ALL JOB SEEKERS, NO MATTER HOW YOU SUBMIT YOUR RESUME:
Do not use a Microsoft Word template. They really do all look the same.

If you must use a word template, change the fonts. There's nothing unique about Times New Roman font. While we're talking about font, Comic Sans is never ok. Ever. Your fonts should be clear and easy to read. If you use more than one, do not use more than two. More fonts than two are usually distracting and messy looking.

One more thing. This is going to sound ridiculously obvious but it needs to be addressed. I know that this is not the only job you applied for and that is perfectly fine. Just remember to change the name of the company in your cover letter and objective, if you decide to incorporate those elements. For example, if you're applying for an Account Director position at XYZ Inc. make sure your materials don't say Account Executive at ABC Agency.

Oh, and use spell check. Seriously.

5 comments:

Maria said...

I love this post!!!

Trisha said...

Great post, thanks for the tips! I made sure to e-mail this to my hubby who is still searching for a teaching job! :)

I may have him send me his resume for me to send to you for you to check out. Or are you against something like that? :) You're the greatest!

Pamela said...

Trish, i'd be glad to look it over. :)

Alli said...

Hilarious Pamela! The upside down, backwards watermark makes me crazy too! I had Daniel print my resume off at his office and he did it upside down and backwards and I asked him to reprint it and he told me it doesn't matter, no one pays attention. Ha.

usjobcareer said...

I like the comments ,Thank you

openings job