Monday, December 15, 2008

Hmpf...

As most of you already know, I’m just now catching on the all of this Twilight madness. I finished Twilight and thought it was incredible! I was totally hooked! Then I learned of Midnight Sun- Twilight from Edward’s prospective. It was amazing. (By the way though… did anyone else catch the difference? In Twilight he drives a “shiny Volvo” and in Midnight Sun he suddenly has an Aston Martin Vanquish… What’s up with that?) I saw the movie. I wasn’t disappointed but (as most cases are) I found the books better than the movie and eagerly jumped into the second book of the series, New Moon.


Hmpf… I really don’t want to give anything away just in case I’m not the last person on the planet to read the series but I am a little miffed. The book was thicker than the first and I’d say that over half of it seemed to drag on for as long as Edward’s been alive. It was endless. I was even compelled to skim and possibly jump to a later chapter. I was too afraid that I’d miss something important so I made my husband read the plot summaries on Wikipedia so that he could tell me how much more I had to endure before the story returned to my liking. Thanks goodness I didn’t have far to go, trudged on and completed the book around three this morning. I have so many unanswered questions. I feel like nothing was resolved. I feel like it trudged on and on, drastically changed course (thankfully) and then it was over. I will read Eclipse next but unlike others, I don’t feel the rush. I just don’t get it… Twilight and Midnight Sun were like crack cocaine! New Moon has left me slightly disappointed but my husband told me that Eclipse will restore my faith in the series. I hope he’s right.


In the meantime, let’s just swoon over the guy playing a 107 yr-old vampire claiming to be a high schooler.




10 comments:

LC said...

I agree with you! Twilight...great. New Moon...slow and a little boring. Eclipse...AWESOME and my favorite. Breaking Dawn...I am 3/4 done and it is CRAZY! I can't wait to read Midnight Sun!

Rhonda said...

New Moon is named so b/c it's the darkest chapter in Bella's life. It's supposed to be sad. You're supposed to feel her sense of utter desperation and attempted reclaimation to the "real" world-- which we know ends up being just as effed up as being with a vampire. I am starting to have a better appreciation of New Moon the more I reflect on it.
As for the Aston Martin, that's Edward's weekend car. The Volvo is just for school b/c it's not as flashy. In the original version of Twilight, SM has E and B go to prom in the Vanquish.

Anonymous said...

Eeeek Pammykins! I saw the movie this weekend too! I agree, the book is absolutely better but it was fun to see everything acted out and compare what I imagined to what they portrayed. The Cullen's were pretty dead-on to what I was imagining and Edward... ::swoon::!!!!

I'm excited to read the rest and I can't believe I dragged the hubs to see the movie... and he actually enjoyed it! Now he can expect to be seeing all of the sequels!

Jennelle said...

I've only read Twilight and New Moon so far, but I honestly liked New Moon better. The entire first half of Twilight seemed unnecessary! I'm excited to read the next two, though, if I can ever get my hands on them...

LucyinStLou said...

Eclipse makes New Moon worth it. A ton happens in Eclipse. And a chunk of the plot in New Moon was necessary character development for Eclipse. I'm still waiting to start Breaking Dawn. I'm so hoping I can wait until after Christimas when I can use a Borders gift card.

Pamela said...

good to know your take on things, Ladies. it does make me more excited to complete the series. Thanks for the insight, Rhonda!

i bought the first two in paperback not realizing that the second two are only hardcover... Hmpf again... i'm weird and i'd like my set to match. looks like i'll be heading to the library for the others. cross your fingers i can find them!

Amy said...

I have to agree with you, new moon was my least favorite but i read on stefanie m's website that she encourages readers to re-read is since we tend to hurry up through it and don't really get the full effect of the relatiohship bt b and j.

I agree w/ lucy, about eclipse. and i get what Rhonda is saying too.

Without this darkness, she would have never developed this friendship with Jacob. youll see the importance in the next two books!

i am getting reading to re-read NM to see how i feel about it.

Liz said...

Keep reading! I just recently jumped on the twilight wagon and am hooked. Mary is obsessed and passed the addiction to Mom and I. It is taking over my life. I carry it in the car just in case I get stopped at one of kirkwood's train tracks and will be able to read just a little more on my way to work. I definitely had trouble making it through New Moon, but felt it was worth the wait. I am 3/4 through Breaking Dawn and don't want it to end. Can't wait to see the movie.

Pamela said...

LIZ! I DO THE SAME THING!

Jen said...

I haven't read the other comments in case they give something away. I am halfway through New Moon and I feel the same as you - it has dragged on and on! Thankfully something seems to be happening now, so hopefully the rest of the book will hold my interest better. Can't wait to read Midnight Sun but am waiting for the paperback to come out so it matches my other three.