Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Relax!


Easier said than done, right? I think I need a little help here. This might be hard to believe (she says sarcastically) but I have trouble unwinding. At work, some days are non-stop GO and other days are pretty slow. The slow days are the worst, I've found because I sit and think of all the other things I could be doing like working out (for once!), cleaning, cooking, decorating or adding things to my other blog and a possible side project I'll discuss at a later date. Instead of staring at a computer until I go blind, I could be drinking wine on a patio while relaxing with a friend or my mom. Or my husband! Then, thinking about all of these things takes a nasty turn. I go from dreamy relaxing thoughts to stressful frantic thoughts about how much I have on my millions of project TO DO lists and before I know it I'm sick to my stomach.

The work day ends and I'm off. I have about 25 minutes to myself in the car. I usually drive in silence because I'm sick of all my playlists and radio commercials give me road rage. It's true... So whats worse? Being alone with your chaotic thoughts while three different songs that have been stuck in your head since Thursday play simultaneously or listening to the radio with non-stop commercial hour and songs that no one, I mean NO ONE likes any more like Tubthumping by Chambawamba. Though call...

I apologize if this post is like one run on sentence after another but sometimes that is truly what my mind is like so here's my point. (Yes, there is a point.) How do you unwind? My perfect plan would be to come home, go running, cook dinner, clean up a little and go to bed at a decent hour. For me, a decent hour would be before 11:30. I really don't think this plan sounds like too much and millions of people do it successfully everyday. Why is this so hard for me? I have never really enjoyed working out so that's not much of a stress reliever and honestly, on most days I think I need to unwind before I do anything. I do have my super energetic days where I think I can do it all and by the end of the night, I'm so revved up that it takes forever to fall asleep. I do the suggested things almost every night: turning down lights, turning t.v. or music volume down or off, limiting my visual stimulation and focusing on breathing. I swear to you, some days I feel like a fidgety six-year-old that drank too much Mountain Dew.

Am I missing something? What relaxes you?

6 comments:

Jennelle said...

I have a hard time with this, too. Unfortunately, Matt and I have a nice hour-long drive home, but at least we have each other. That's really when we talk about our days. When we get home, we make dinner and then veg on the couch--watching our shows and catching up on any homework. Sometimes I get really anxious at home because I know I have to get up and go back to work the next day... The only thing that really helps me is to have a set plan; know what I'm doing each night and make sure I get it done. But you are definitely not alone! I'm interested to hear everyone else's tips.

LucyinStLou said...

I know this sounds really boring, but it's kind of the point: planning and routine. The only way I can get everything done that I need to during the work week is to have a set order in which everything must happen, no ifs, ands, or buts. That means getting up at 5:30 to work out and getting to bed at a decent time. Plus, if my mind is on autopilot, I am much less likely to forget to do something. I use my downtime at work (when I have it) to plan our menus and shopping lists for the next week and do all of shopping on Saturday, along with picking up any incidentals at Target. Dull, but it really works. Good luck!

Claire Uncorked said...

Thanks, I'm more stressed after reading your post! =)

Lucy has the right idea, & it works for her. It really doesn't for us for most of the year & it sucks. We've got a lot going on all the time, therefore our house always seems to be in a catastrophic state, we eat like crap, we don't exercise, etc. I sometimes miss the days when I had more of a routine because things were so much more orderly then!

Lisa said...

I wish I had better suggestion for you, but I work out right after work and that seems to help SO much. I have to go directly after work though. That way it's done and over with by 6:30 and I can get home to put a quick dinner on the table and spend the rest of the evening with the hubbby or getting other house chores accomplished. I get tired faster and sleep SO much better when I've gotten a work out in that day.

Mary said...

I have a pretty strict routine though and it helps me feel more "in control" of my life. After school, I go for a run or to the gym if I have time. Then I walk the dog for at least an hour, which really helps me relax and have fun. Then it's shower, dinner, a couple hours of relaxation before bed. We try to get in bed by 10:30 every night. Sometimes I get bored by my routine, but that's what the weekends are for!

Jen said...

I love a long, hot bath with a good book. I have the water so hot I feel like a wet noodle when I come out - totally cooked and limp. But what helps me most when I am so stressed that I feel wired is a good hard run on the treadmill (and I am NOT a runner) - it just feels like it gets it all out so I can relax.