Saturday, November 29, 2008

I can't believe I made butter!


Teresa might be able to make amazing homemade mozzarella but I just made my very own homemade butter. I can't believe it but it is seriously incredible and so easy!

All you do is mix about 2/3 of a pint of heavy cream and a teaspoon of salt in a tupperware dish with the lid on tight. (My mom actually used a couple of baby food jars.) Then, vigorously shake it for 20 minutes. After about 5-10 it will look like whipped butter- keep shaking. It will start to get really thick and you'll think you're finished around 10-15 minutes- keep shaking! Around 18 minutes it will start to curd and you'll think you ruined it. You haven't. It is just the curds separating from the whey- drain the whey (you might need to do this a few times) and keep shaking. When you hit the 20 minute mark, you'll notice it is smooth and creamy. It tastes so good. Is it bad that I wanted to lick my knife before I ate my english muffin?

ETA: This will be fun at dinner parties because it would be so easy to add garlic or sun-dried tomatoes or honey to it for a little extra flavor. I'm really excited now!

8 comments:

Katie said...

I had no idea you were so....amazing!! That's awesome!

Jamie said...

Okay, I think this is great and all but the whole process sounds excruciatingly dreadful....shaking? For 20 minutes? Oy. And curds....ew. But I'll say nothing goes with bread (ahem, Teresa) better than butter! And the bread maker is bringing bread to the partay....just sayin.

Pamela said...

OOoHHHhhh!!! Jamie- i could bring the butter!!! and booze of course.

Teresa said...

Look at you!

It is so funny you just posted this, because in my new cheese making book it talks about how to make butter and I was going to try it in the near future!

The book had a bit different process that results in also making buttermilk. Maybe we should compare notes next time we are together.

Claire Uncorked said...

Between your butter & Teresa's cheese...I'm impressed.

Mary said...

I can't say I'd ever have the patience for it, but congrats on your butter-making skills! I agree that you should bring butter to the GNO.

Morissa said...

SWEET!!!! I am going to try this! I have to tell you though, I am going to make my 4 year old do the shaking. My husband is going to love you for this ;)

Amanda, Mandy, Manda, Tomato said...

WOW!! That is so cool! I don't know if I'd have the patience to shake it for 20 minutes. I would imagine you'd have some great lookin arms if you did it enough though.